Tuesday, July 3, 2012

TODAY IN BLACK HISTORY


July 3, 1688  A Quaker group in Germantown, PA signed a petition which was the first formal protest against slavery in the country by a religious group. The first blacks were brought to the American colonies in 1619. Then in 1654, John Castor, an African, became the first legally recognized “slave” in the colonies when a court in Northampton County, VA declared him “property for life” to be “owned” by his master. By 1688 when the Quaker group signed their petition, slavery was firmly established in the colonies.   
Today’s Quote
”I had reasoned this out in my mind, there was one of two things I had a right to, liberty or death; if I could not have one, I would have the other.”                                                        Harriet Tubman

No comments: